CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 5, 2010

"Why don't you just make it!"



When I received my Grandmother's Gumbo Pot I never imagined it would come in handy because my Husband was going to throw me under the proverbial bus!

Last Friday night we headed out to the St. Lawrence Fish Fry. This was Giada and Shawn's first Catholic Church Fish Fry experience. The parking lot was packed when we arrived and the Knights of Columbus were already frying fish. We headed inside and found the order station. We were looking at the menu and trying to decide on our sides when the Knight who was taking our order told us about the 'special' he said, "We have Fish Gumbo tonight" I heard Shawn chuckle behind me. I smiled and jokingly said "I'm from New Orleans so I can't wait to taste it" his face twitched and he followed laughingly with "Oh, then we have Fish Soup" I told him to add a bowl to our order. They gave us our number and we went in search of a table. We met several nice couples while waiting on our food. The fish and the 'Gumbo' arrived and we started eating. Our fish, hush puppies, french fries and corn-on-the-cob was very good. I looked at the 'Gumbo' it was chunks of fish, okra, celery and tomato in a clear broth over a bowl of white rice. Now, please don't get me wrong, it was perfectly edible it just wasn't Gumbo! The Knight who sold us our food came by to check and make sure everything was okay. We told him it was all very good and we were really enjoying ourselves. He then asked me if the Gumbo was what I was used to. I explained to him that it was not what I was used to but that it was good. He asked what the difference was between this and Gumbo and said he was going to go and get the cook.

Oh great! Now I get to try not to offend someone, how perfect......

As promised, he came back with the cook and before she even is within 5 feet of me she is already apologizing and says, " I cooked it but it was his recipe" as she is pointing to a man at the next table. She then follows with "Next time I know I need to add a lot more pepper." I told her there was nothing wrong with it is was good and that heat does not make it Gumbo. I told her to just add more "seasoning" to it.

Now, my husband is deep in conversation with a couple at our table while I'm having this conversation with one of the Knight's and the cook. As I'm explaining "seasoning" to the cook, Shawn turns and says out loud "Why don't you just make it!" and then goes right back to his conversation. Boom Boom Pow....welcome to the underneath of the bus!

The Knight asks me if I would mind making the Gumbo for the next Fish Fry then turns to the cook and says "how much did you make?" She replied with "13 quarts" and then just walked away. I rush to say that I don't want to step on any one's toe's and the Knight acts like it's no big deal. He wants to know all the ingredients I need and how much fish I want for the gumbo.

Side note- In New Orleans we use Shrimp, Crab and Crawfish in our Seafood Gumbo....never fish! Welcome to Georgia!!!

So after exchanging phone numbers and me apologizing, probably more than was necessary, thank you Catholic guilt, it is decided that I would make the Gumbo for this weeks fish fry. So a chopping I will be....and don't think Shawn is walking away from this one either......He WILL be chopping with me, we have loads of onions and garlic to dice-up.

Laissez le bon temps rouler

until next time..xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I think maybe you threw yourself under the bus at the beginning when you told him you were from NOLA. But then again, what were the odds that you'd find someone that knew the gumbo they were serving wasn't real gumbo? ; )

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Shawn! He should have to do ALL the chopping by himself if you ask me. Teach him a lesson!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the person claiming it was "Gumbo" to begin with, through themself under the bus.

    There are many copy cats, but only very few true NOLA originals!!!

    ReplyDelete